Welcome to the Kingsway FAQ Blog!
We have answered a few questions from our new students here, so please browse through them to see if your question is answered. If not please do email us and ask your question. We look forward to hearing from you.
On Mondays we all eat together – staff and students, & this is included in your course fee. Normally we have a buffet in school but, if we only a few students in, a member of staff will take the students to a restaurant. Our buffets provide a range of cold food (with options for vegetarians) including sandwiches, pies, tarts and fresh fruit.
On other days of the week our students have a wide range of options to choose from as there are about 50 cafes, restaurants, sandwich shops, pubs & takeaways to choose from within a short walk of Kingsway. The cheapest thing to do is buy a sandwich or snack from a local shop and bring it back to school to eat. Our students often decide together what to do/where to go each day so you may choose to do something different every day.
Kingsway’s homestay families for our English courses always try to be flexible to fit in with flight arrivals and departures. Ideally you should arrive on a Sunday afternoon/evening and leave on a Saturday morning, but we know this isn’t always possible. For most of the year we can be really flexible and if you need to arrive at midnight on a Saturday and leave at 04:00 on a Monday that’s OK. Our homestays are paid per week (7 nights) so if you need to stay for an 8th night, we charge for that pro-rata. For example one extra night in an Executive homestay costs GBP 42.00.
You should aim to arrive at Kingsway sometime between 08:30 and 08:45 on your first Monday. This will allow time for you to meet our Senior Management Team & a few other students before 09:00. We will give you a folder with a pad of paper and a pen so you don’t need to bring anything in particular.
Every Monday at 09:00 all students and staff gather In the lounge and our Director of Studies welcomes everyone to the new week at Kingsway. He then introduces the teachers and calls out the names of the students who are to go with each teacher.
This is Monday’s timetable for new students:
09:00 – 10:30 Lesson
10:30 – 10:45 Break
10:45 – 12:15 Introduction for all new students. This is a Powerpoint presentation given by our DoS & followed by a tour of the building and a demonstration of how to use the library and self-access facilities. It finishes with an introduction to key admin.staff.
12:15 – 13:30 Buffet lunch in school for all students and teachers. (In weeks when numbers are low we go to a restaurant instead).
13:30 – 15:00 Lesson (for students on 22 and 30 hour courses)
15:00 – 15:15 Break
15:15 – 16:45 Lesson (for students on 30 hour courses)
17:00 – 17:45 Pronunciation lesson for all new students. This is when we introduce the International Phonemic Alphabet which is used by all teachers in all lessons.
There is no dress code here at Kingsway English Centre but most people dress informally and denim jeans are completely acceptable. If you wear a formal business suit you will probably feel overdressed. You can choose something in between like “smart casual”. This means maybe smart trousers and shirt with collar. but no jacket or tie (for men).
If your level of English is advanced please note the following points before you book a group course :
- By advanced level English we mean CEFR C1+ or TOEIC 900+ or CPE.
- We place students according to speaking and listening levels. Other skills may be stronger or weaker from one student to another.
- Because we have ” continuous enrolment” we have new students starting every week so the groups change regularly.
- During busy periods you are more likely to meet students of your level. During quieter periods there may be a slightly wider range of levels within groups.
- One week you may be the strongest in your group. The next week you may not.
- Kingsway teachers are skilled at making sure that everyone benefits in the group even if there are fine variations in level.
- We are always happy to assess your English level by Skype or telephone FREE of charge, so you know what we recommend.
- We will ALWAYS give you honest advice, even if that means saying ‘no’ to you coming to Kingsway.
If we think it more appropriate we will recommend a combination or full-time one-to-one course.